Franconia Notch State Park is a must-see place when visiting this area of New Hampshire! This beautiful park includes natural wonders, scenic vistas, and historic sites to explore. The park spans an 8-mile portion of Interstate 93 with Flume Gorge in the south and Echo Lake at the north end. The pass area includes peaks from both the Kinsman and Franconia mountain ranges. There is much to see and do in this world-class park including swimming/beaches, boat rentals, canoeing/kayaking, fishing, hiking, walking, and a plethora of winter activities. There is always something to do at Franconia Notch State Park!
As you explore the Franconia Notch State Park let our New Hampshire lodging be your perfect lakeside getaway! Located on beautiful Lake Winnisquam, our inn is the best place for relaxation and unwinding. Our beautifully appointed guest rooms are the best place for a calming retreat. You can choose to explore and head out on an adventure in the surrounding areas of Laconia and Gilford or spend the day at our lakeshore inn, soaking up the tranquility and quiet ambiance. If you are looking for the ultimate escape to New Hampshire, book your stay with us today!
Things to do in Franconia Notch State Park
In the breathtaking White Mountains National Forest of northern New Hampshire lies the incredible Franconia Notch State Park. This outdoor recreation oasis and nature preserve encompass mountain summits, lakes, rivers, granite rock faces, and forests that make up one of the best destinations in all of New Hampshire. Franconia Notch is the pass between the Kinsman and Franconia Mountains. This unique area has much to offer outdoor enthusiasts and is a great way to see the beautiful New Hampshire landscape. Here are some fun and memorable things to do in Franconia Notch State Park.
- The Flume Gorge in Franconia Notch State Park is a natural gorge made up of moss and fern-covered granite walls that rise to heights of 70-90 feet. The walls are 12-20 feet wide providing a walkway to experience this natural wonder. You can walk a 2-mile loop that goes one way. Along the hike, you’ll see cascading waterfalls, glacial pools, large boulders, and much more!
- Of all the things to do in Franconia Notch State Park, taking a ride in the Cannon Mountain Aerial Tramway is one of the most unforgettable ways to see the park! This 80-passenger cabin takes you up 2.1 miles to the top. You can get a one-way ticket if you get to the top and want to hike down or catch a ride both ways. From the tram, you’ll be able to view parts of New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont, New York, and Canada!
- At Echo Lake Beach you can rent canoes, kayaks, and pedal boats to enjoy this picturesque lake that sits at the foot of Cannon Mountain. Sitting at 1,931 feet this mountain lake is also surrounded by views of Mt. Lafayette. Relax on the beach or take a dip on a warm summer day.
- When you visit Cannon Mountain and the Aerial tramway, be sure to stop by the New England Ski Museum at the base of the tramway. Here exhibits include a permanent chronology of the development of skiing as well as an annual new exhibit that focuses on ski history. Admission is free so you can have extra cash to get a ski-inspired souvenier at the Museum shop.
- There is an abundance of hiking to do in Franconia Notch State Park with 34 official trails! Hikes in the park range from small two-mile loops to 16-mile day hikes. There is something for every skill level. The hikes here will take you to views of mountains, rock formations, and lakes. Some notable hikes to check out include Artist Bluff Trail. Lonesome Lake Trail, Mt. Pemigewasset Trail, and the Appalachian Trail.
- Profile Lake is a beautiful spot that is designated only for fly fishing. Located beneath the rock formation that collapsed in 2003, The Old man of the Mountain, this is a relaxing way to spend a day on a lake.
- A visit to Franconia Notch State Park isn’t complete unless you stop by to see The Basin. This popular short hike features a granite pothole at the base of a waterfall and is about 20 feet in diameter. It is thought to have been eroded 15,000 years ago during the last ice age. Be sure to explore the river above and below the basin as there are several other beautiful waterfalls along the way.
The Best New Hampshire Lodging
After a day exploring Franconia Notch State Park you’ll have peace of mind knowing that you have quiet and tranquil accommodations waiting for you at our lakeside bed and breakfast. At our idyllic inn, you will find yourself truly unwinding as you gaze out over glittering Lake Winnisquam. Our cozy and comfortable lodging has everything you need and want in a New Hampshire getaway.
Our casual yet elegant guest rooms are set up for your ultimate comfort in mind. Each room is beautifully appointed and includes amenities to make your stay perfect, and is set up uniquely so you can choose the space that will make your vacation unforgettable. If you want the best place for an ideal escape to New Hampshire this summer book your stay with us today!