Visitors love exploring the charming New England towns in the Lakes Region and there are many fun things to do in Laconia NH. Laconia was established in 1893 and began as a manufacturing city using the water power of mills in the 19th century. As the small city grew and roadways and railways were added in the late 1800s, it transformed into the vacation town we know today. With multiple lakeside beaches and a large boardwalk with tons of summertime entertainment, visitors will never run out of great things to do in Laconia NH. The town also has attracted talented chefs and offers a choice of casual and fine dining. The very active community hosts unique events during every season. Check out the 3 very best things to do in Laconia during your Lakes Region vacation:
- Great Restaurants – Laconia may be a small town but it offers tons of great culinary choices in this quaint city. It’s the perfect place for a casual meal at a quirky diner or an elegant evening for a date night.
- Annual Events – The city’s annual festivals and events are some of the most fun things to do in Laconia NH. They host a traditional 4th of July parade and fireworks, also an autumn pumpkin festival. However, the largest event by far is the Laconia Motorcycle Week.
- Activities – Hanging out at Weirs Beach is one of the most popular things to do in Laconia NH during the summer months. Vacationers enjoy swimming, waterskiing, jet skiing, and boating on those long sunny days. Laconia, in fact, has 5 wonderful sandy beaches to explore on the beautiful lake. The town also has a scenic walking and biking trail that links Laconia to nearby towns. For a more scenic excursion book a seaplane flight or a ride on the Winnipesaukee Scenic Railroad.
Our guests at Lake House at Ferry Point Inn come back year after year to our serene lakefront bed and breakfast. We’re the only one in the Lakes Region with a shimmering lake right on the property. It creates a tranquil setting for the most relaxing New England getaway. However, when guests want an evening out at a great restaurant or attend a fun festival, Laconia is only minutes away. Reserve one of our luxurious guest suites for an unforgettable Lakes Region escape this year.
3 Things to do in Laconia NH for a Wonderful Vacation
Whatever the season, there’s always enjoyable things to do in Laconia NH. The little city offers amazing dining, beaches, parks and of course beautiful lake access. Many visitors return every year for fun events and festivals. Pick your favorite things to do in Laconia NH for your next Lakes Region vacation:
- Excellent Restaurants – The Local Eatery, in Laconia, NH, is an exclusive farm-to-table restaurant, offering the freshest produce, meats, fish, and cheese from select farms and farmers. Relax with small plates and a cocktail while listening to the live piano bar at Tavern 27. Bring your appetite to this warm and welcoming T-bone Great American Eatery where everything is absolutely homemade. The talented chef at O Steak and Seafood creates inventive classic steak and seafood dishes. 405 Pub & Grill has a casual, fun restaurant that serves satisfying comfort food. Step back in time sampling classic diner favorites in an authentic 1951 Worcester dining car at the Union Diner. Fratello’s is a light-filled casual restaurant that serves delicious wood-fired brick oven pizza, steaks, seafood, and Italian favorites. Laconia locals have owned and operated the iconic Water Street Cafe since 1988. Or stop by for a creative lunch at the Karma Cafe and Art in their bright, colorful interior.
- Annual Events and Festivals – Every mid-February The Laconia World Championship Sled Dog Derby fills the city with energetic dogs and their trainers. While the Laconia Motorcycle Week is one of the world’s oldest motorcycle rallies that also includes races, stunt shows, swap meets, vendors, music, and amazing scenic rides. Locals and visitors unlike look forward to the Laconia Fourth of July parade and gigantic fireworks display. September brings the fun Pumpkin Festival where participants try to break the standing record for the most jack-o’-lanterns lit at one time.
- Recreation and Activities – Weirs Beach offers the most popular things to do in Laconia NH in the summertime. After strolling the 1300 feet long boardwalk on Lake Winnipesaukee, check out the summer entertainment at the Funspot and Weirs Drive-in Theater. The city also has four more beaches; Bartlett Beach, Bond Beach, and the two located in Opechee Park. When you’re done playing in the water take a long hike or bike ride on the WOW Trail. This paved, 10-foot wide multi-use rail-trail connects downtown Laconia to Lakeport. Along the way enjoy views of Lake Opechee and stop at the Laconia Public Library or Freighthouse Museum. Another great place to learn more about the history of Laconia is the Belknap Mill located along the beautiful Winnipesaukee River. Built in 1823 as a textile mill, the Belknap Mill has served as an art and history center and meeting place since 1970. To really take in the amazing Lakes Region scenery hop the Winnipesaukee Scenic Railroad at the Weirs Beach Station for a two-hour excursion along the shores of Lake Winnipesaukee in a restored vintage coach. For a view like no other reserve a scenic tour on a seaplane for a 30-minute flight over Lake Winnipesaukee and Squam Lake.
With all the amazing things to do in Laconia NH, you can add as much excitement as you want to your stay at the Lake House at Ferry Point Inn. Our secluded location creates a tranquil retreat on Lake Winnisquam, but Laconia is only a short drive away for great dining and activities. Book your Lakes Region getaway that has the best of both worlds.