Snowshoeing and cross-country ski lovers rejoice as powdery snow turns the New Hampshire hiking trails into their playground. As the Lakes Region begins to freeze the forests and mountains become a winter wonderland. The same beautiful summer hiking trails are now even more tranquil with a layer of fresh snow. It’s the perfect time to explore the snowy paths to stunning views, icy waterfalls, and streams. In the heart of the Lake Region find the secluded Lake House at Ferry Point Inn. Return to our charming lakefront bed and breakfast after an invigorating day in the snow. A crackling fire and comfortable rooms invite guests to relax. Reserve your winter getaway to the Lake Region today!
Snowshoeing and Cross-Country Ski Resorts and Centers
New Hampshire has many ski centers that offer kilometers of trails, equipment rentals and lessons. Beginners and experienced visitors will find trails and classes to fit their abilities. While all the centers have their own special views and landscapes to explore.
- Gunstock Mountain Resort – This is the closest ski resort to our location and it has everything needed for a fun day in the snow. Here visitors will find a full service Nordic and snowshoe center, rentals, lessons and snowmaking. With 50 km of groomed trails, and special evening snowshoe ridge tours, there’s always something new to discover.
- Waterville Valley Resort Adventure Center – Their over 70 kilometers of groomed trails are within the amazing White Mountain National Forest. Also offered are professionally guided skis, a youth program, a woman’s ski group, a Nordic race series, and full moon ski and snowshoeing excursions.
- Jackson Ski Touring Foundation (Jackson XC) – This wonderful group wants to make cross-country skiing accessible to everyone including beginners, children and disabled skiers. Set within a charming New England village with many dining options. Their trails wind through old growth forests and connect with A.M.C. trails in Pinkham Notch and White Mountain National Forest.
- Bear Notch Ski Touring Center – This is a cross-country skiing and snowshoeing destination within Bartlett village. The 65-plus kilometer trail network include forest, meadow and riverside views. Journey up to sparkling waterfalls, or glide down rolling hills.
- Great Glen Trails – Explore 45 km of lovely backcountry trails located at the base of Mount Washington. They offer skiing lessons and rentals on perfectly groomed trails. Also offered are evening snowshoe tours led by an Appalachian Mountain Club naturalist.
Snowshoeing and Skiing Trails and Parks
Local parks and hiking trails turn into wonderful cross-country skiing and snowshoeing locations. The variety of terrain is endless in the New Hampshire countryside.
- Prescott Farm – This charming farm hosts guided snowshoe adventures for all levels in addition to magical “Moonlit Walks.”
- Bear Brook State Park – Cross-country skiers will find intermediate to advanced trails in this local park.
- Loon Center and Markus Wildlife Sanctuary – Snowshoe through the two peaceful trails in this scenic bird sanctuary.
- Wolfeboro Cross Country Ski Association – Local cross-country skiers love this best-kept secret with 30 km of beautiful trails.
- Franconia Notch State Park – This is a great park for beginner cross-country skiers and snowshoers.
- Pawtuckaway State Park – Keep an eye out for winter wildlife when exploring these trails.
- Greenfield State Park – The flat trails are great for beginners through the serene pine forests.
- Pillsbury State Park – For quiet trails, explore the 8,200 wooded acres with intermediate to advanced trails, and keep an eye out for moose and otters along the way.
- Crawford Notch State Park – Beginner and intermediate snowshoers will love the short trails to the Arethusa or Ripley Falls.
- Monadnock State Park – The lower slopes of the mountain have 12 miles of intermediate, ungroomed trails. While advanced snowshoers can take the southwest trails to reach the 3,165-foot peak
The winter trails are waiting for you to explore and enjoy, and the Lake House at Ferry Point Inn has your room ready. Spend your days on paths through old forest, along mountains streams and to gorgeous summit views. Then return to our warm and welcoming inn that’s close to all the attractions. Book your elegant guest room with us then start packing for an unforgettable winter vacation.