There are a plethora of things to do in the Lakes Region any time of year, but during the magical time of autumn this area of New Hampshire takes on a special aura. Fall foliage is out in force, the air feels fresh and crisp, and yet days can still be full of sunshine. The blue sky and water are framed by a blaze of color from the trees.
The Lakes Region is the fall vacation destination of your dreams! Along with pristine bodies of water, there are lovely, rustic, and homey lakeside towns to discover, as well as miles of hiking, biking, and boating to enjoy and much more!
Lake House at Ferry Point is your ultimate getaway this fall. Set on the shores of Lake Winnisquam, this tranquil setting is the perfect spot to unwind. Our New Hampshire Inn feels like a secluded lakehouse but is located near all the attractions and activities you love in the Lakes Region. If you want to escape to the best place to enjoy the Lakes Region this fall, book your stay today!
Fun Things to do in the Lakes Region
The Lakes Region is considered a gem of the northeast by both tourists and locals alike. This majestic landscape transforms in the autumn and new opportunities to explore arise. Here there are numerous lakes, ponds, and bays surrounded by unique towns and villages each with their own charm.
The Lakes Region also is home to two small mountain ranges that are perfect for outdoor pursuits of all kinds. There are endless activities to pursue in this New England wonderland. Here are our 10 favorite things to do in the Lakes Region this fall!
- Going on a scenic driving tour is a classic way to enjoy the majesty of autumn in the Lakes Region. If you want a quintessential autumn-in-New-England experience this is one of the best things to do in the Lakes Region! You can circumnavigate Lake Winnipesaukee, wandering picturesque villages and towns along the way.
- Taking a train ride is one of the most unique things to do in the Lakes Region this fall. Sit back and enjoy breathtaking views on one of many scenic and historic railways. The Lake Winnipesaukee Scenic Railroad travels along the shore past beautiful resort homes. Special holiday trains, dinner trains, picnic lunches, and fall foliage trains are available. The Hobo Railroad offers 80 -minute roundtrip rides along the scenic Pemigewasset River.
- New Hampshire has a long history of farming and is still known for its agricultural accomplishments. Visiting one or multiple farms while you are here is a must-do of things to do in the Lakes Region! Moulton Farm in Meredith features a farm bakery where you can take home a sweet treat to remember your time here. Beans and Greens Farm in Gilford offers produce, a deli, and a bakery. Stone Brook Hill Farm is the place to go to pick your own blueberries and apples. Stop by their farm stand for pumpkins, apple cake, and hot cider!
- A day at the Squam Lakes Natural Science Center is sure to be fun as well as educational! This environmental learning center features hiking trails, lake cruises, and gardens to explore.
- Taking in a round of golf is one of the more active things do in the Lakes Region. This area is home to gorgeous courses that overlook the lakes and mountains. Kingswood Golf Club in Wolfeboro is home to a championship course. Lochmere Golf and Country Club is semi-private and one of the most challenging in the Northeast. Oak Hill Golf Course is full of character and beauty with its stone walls and four hidden greens.
- Of all the things to do in the lakes region this fall going on a hike is a rewarding and fun experience! Belknap Mountain in Gilford is an easy and invigorating climb with a stellar view of Lake Winnipesaukee at the top. Stinson Mountain in Rumney is a 4-mile roundtrip moderate and enjoyable hile with views of the Baker River Valley, and the Franconia and Sandwich ranges. There are lots of hikes in this area and you are sure to find one or more for your skill level.
- Taking a cruise or boat tour is a must of things to do in the lakes region. Seeing lake waters and blue sky framed by vibrant fall foliage is something you won’t soon forget! The historic M/S Mount Washington Cruises out of Weirs beach has been on these waters since 1872!
- Kayaking on the water is a great choice of things to do in the Lakes Region. You’ll get out on the water but with more seclusion than a cruise provides. EKAL Activities Center at Mill Falls in Meridith not only provides kayak rental but also canoes and paddleboards as well. At Wildmeadow Paddle Sports, you can rent and launch right from their site to enjoy Center Harbor Bay.
- Stopping in at a brewery or winery is a great way to refresh and slow down when you have a long list of things to do in the Lakes Region. There are shortages of great establishments to check out while here. There are unique finds like the Sap House Meadery where they serve up rustic honey wines, and then there are the classic breweries like Twin Barns Brewing Company where they serve up delicious craft brews with choice ingredients.
- Perhaps seeing this area from the air is on your list of things to do in the Lakes Region this fall! A seaplane tour is an unforgettable and exhilarating way to see the colors of autumn from above. There are sunset flights, fall foliage flights and they will even pick you up from your private beach if you have one!
The Ultimate Lakes Region Lodging this Fall
Come to our New Hampshire inn this fall and enjoy New England the way it meant to be. There couldn’t be a more perfect autumnal getaway in the heart of the Lakes Region! In our serene atmosphere, you’ll be surrounded by the sights of sparkling water, rolling mountains, and forests, and the sounds of solitude.
Relax and get a great night’s sleep in our cozy and comfortable guest rooms with plush bedding, sitting areas, private baths, and gorgeous views out your window. The breakfasts we serve will get you fueled up for the day’s adventures. Choose from home-baked bread and muffins, quiches, casseroles, and even a breakfast banana split! If you are ready for the best place to escape to this fall, book your stay today!